Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Shopping!

October 17, 2005

Hello all,
Yesterday was a pretty boring day so I didn't have much to report. We hung out here at the Phoenix all day and Ling Ling went swimming at the enormous pool. She didn't seem especially confident in the water, so we stayed in the shallow end. She doesn't really like water in her face, even in the tub. We had dinner with the Keohane's (the family with the twins) and it was quite interesting. We ate at the Chinese restaurant here and the wait staff had a hard time understanding us. I asked for water for Ling Ling to drink, they brought her a Coke instead, and then insisted on serving it to her even though I was saying "no" and moving the glass. She ended up mad at me over the whole thing, but she had already met her Coke quota for the day, and I did not give in. This girl is not used to being told no, and is pouting at me regularly when I don't let her do what she wants (like turn the volume up to a deafening level on the computer when she watches a DVD). I'm such a mean mommy. :)

Today we got up early to go to the pearl and jade market and visit Shamian Island again. It was a very good day, and we made a pretty decent dent in our money supply. Ling Ling picked out some very pretty outfits for herself, 2 pairs of shoes, a silk blanket, toy cell phone, beaded purse, umbrella, and is playing happily with her new things right now. At the pearl market, I got her and Jaden both necklaces and bracelets made for when they are older, and have some extra pearls that they can have made into earrings or rings as well. There was a great DVD store at the market, and we stocked up on 12 Disney and Barbie movies for only $2 each!! She's already watched one of the Barbie movies and loved every second of it. I had to fight her to have a second to get the computer back long enough to post here.

Ling Ling continues to do well, and other than the meltdown over the Coke last night and missing her daddy (which also came up last night at bedtime with some tears), she is a very happy little girl. I think she is getting sick of people asking her about her new family and telling her how lucky she is, and I don't blame her. I think she is wondering if she's ever actually going to get to see her real home, and I must admit that I am getting impatient to see it as well!

Tomorrow, we are heading back to the island to finish up our shopping and then will go to the consulate in the afternoon to take the oath and pick up her visa. Then Wednesday, we will hang here for the day and then head for LA on the 9pm flight out of Guangzhou.

Thanks to everyone for your messages of support, you have no idea how nice it is to know that everyone back home is thinking of and praying for us. This trip has been incredible and I am so happy to have so many friends and family members to share it with! I will post a few new pics in a little while if I can negotiate use of the computer long enough. :)

Love from GZ,
Marla, PoPo, and Ling Ling

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Red couch at the White Swan
Photobucket
Photobucket
Modeling one of her new dresses
Photobucket

No comments: